St. Jozefsheim / Kent School (also known as the "Nazi Monastery")

After four years of construction, the St. Jozefsheim monastery was taken into use by the brothers of St Francis in 1913. It consisted of a chapel, office, school and two other buildings. About 600 people lived in the monastery, most of whom were mentally and/or physically ill.
Due to the rise and pressure of the Nazis, the brothers of St Francis left the monastery. By a new law in 1939, which implied that every incapable new-born had to be registered, the monastery became a special children's home and was named "Kinderfachabteilung Waldniel". In reality, it became a center for those who were not welcome in Nazi Germany.
When on 1 October 1939 Adolf Hitler gained full power over Germany, the home became a euthanasia center that was to lead to the “final solution”. The first doctor to lead the center was Georg Renno, but he was soon transferred to the Hartheim Institute. He was ultimately made responsible for the deaths of 28,000 people after the war. In Hostert he was replaced by Hermann Wesse.
In Hostert during the Second World War 512 people died of which 128 children. Of at least 30 children it is certain that they were killed in the euthanasia program through an overdose of luminal.
In 1952 the buildings were returned to the St Francis Order, which sold them to the English army in 1955. Until 1963 the English used it as a military hospital. Then it was converted into a school called Kent School. In the end there were 1400 children in school, 270 at the boarding school, the rest of them travelled to and from school by bus.
The school was closed in 1992. Since then, the building has been vacant and leads its own life.

St. Jozefsheim / Kent School (ook wel bekend als het “Nazi-Klooster”)

Na vier jaar bouwen werd het klooster St. Jozefsheim in 1913 in gebruik genomen door de broeders van Franciscus. Het bestond uit een kapel, kantoor, school en twee andere gebouwen. In het klooster leefde ongeveer 600 mensen waarvan de meeste mentaal en psychisch ziek waren.
Door de opkomst en druk van de nazi’s vertrokken de broeders van Franciscus uit het klooster. Door een nieuwe wet in 1939, die inhield dat elke onbekwame nieuwgeborene geregistreerd moest worden, werd het klooster een speciaal kindertehuis en kreeg het de naam "Kinderfachabteilung Waldniel". In werkelijkheid werd het een centrum voor diegenen die niet welkom waren in Nazi-Duitsland.
Toen op 1 oktober 1939 Adolf Hitler de volledige macht kreeg over Duitsland werd het tehuis dan ook een euthanasiecentrum dat moest leiden tot de uiteindelijke oplossing. De eerste arts die het centrum leidde was Georg Renno maar hij werd al snel overgeplaatst naar het Hartheim instituut. Uiteindelijk werd hij na de oorlog verantwoordelijk gesteld voor de dood van 28.000 mensen. Zijn vervanger in Hostert was Hermann Wesse.
In Hostert zijn, tijdens WO II, 512 mensen gestorven waarvan 128 kinderen. Van zeker 30 kinderen staat vast dat ze via een overdosis aan luminal in het euthanasieprogramma zijn vermoord.
In 1952 zijn de gebouwen teruggegeven aan de Franciscus Orde die het in 1955 aan het Engelse leger verkocht. Tot 1963 gebruikte de Engelsen het als een militair ziekenhuis. Daarna werd het omgebouwd tot een school genaamd Kent School. Uiteindelijk zaten er 1400 kinderen op school waarvan 270 op het internaat, de rest werd per bus naar school gebracht.
In 1992 is de school gesloten. Sindsdien staat het gebouw leeg en leidt het z’n eigen leven.